Hillsborough Street Community Service Corporation Merchant Sidewalk Furniture Matching Grant Program
Grant Contact: Hayes Boone
The Hillsborough Street Community Service Corporation (HSCSC) seeks, through the Merchant Sidewalk Furniture Matching Grant Program, to:
- Improve the COVID-aware outdoor seating options within the Hillsborough Street Community Service Corporation (HSCSC) Municipal Service District (MSD);
- Support the purchase of quality outdoor sidewalk seating furniture consistent with the quality of the recent investments in Hillsborough Street’s public spaces by the City of Raleigh;
- Encourage and support economic development and business resiliency along Hillsborough Street and adjacent streets within the Municipal Service District (MSD).
Grant Amount & Use
This grant provides a matching reimbursement up to $500.00 for businesses or property owners to purchase outdoor seating furniture and outdoor furnishings for existing or expanded outdoor seating areas associated with their business.
Businesses must be located within the boundaries of the Hillsborough Street Municipal Service District (HSMSD). Applicants may be either the property owner or the tenant. If a property owner has multiple tenants, each separate business address will require a separate application; the property owner may submit applications for each business. If the property has a consolidated outdoor seating space that serves multiple businesses, only one application will be considered for a single $500.00 matching grant.
Eligible Use of Funds
These funds are meant to reimburse the cost of pre-approved and qualified “outdoor seating furniture and furnishings” within city permitted and approved outdoor seating spaces. Grant funds will not be used to reimburse for previously purchased items. “Outdoor seating furniture and furnishings” includes tables, chairs, benches, umbrellas, and plant pottery.
Eligible businesses and property owners must follow these guidelines in order to receive the matching grant:
- Use the on-line application process (application here).
- Provide proof of existing city outdoor seating permits (if required.). Please review the city’s Permits for Private Use of Public Spaces website.
- Once the application has been approved, HSCSC will provide a formal agreement to be signed by both parties.
- Once installation is complete, submit all receipts, invoices, and proof of payment to HSCSC for matching reimbursement up to $500.00. Also submit photos of the furniture in place being used. By submitting this request for matching funds, you are consenting to allow HSCSC to use any submitted photos for marketing and communications purposes.
- Grantees must maintain outdoor seating spaces, keep area clean as needed, and keep the furniture in use for at least one year.
Selection and Grant Process
Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis, and the program will be offered until the total funding has been granted.
The Hillsborough Street Community Service Corporation President/CEO will review and evaluate applications and make the grant determinations which shall be forwarded to the HSCSC executive committee for affirmation and final approval. Decisions will be based on the completeness of the application, cost, and the appropriateness and quality of the furnishings being proposed. All applicants will be notified via email of the decision. Because funding is limited, not every application that conforms to these guidelines can be guaranteed funding.